There's been a great reaction to our knitting pattern relaunches in Vivacious and Gleem colours and it's made us think about some of the ways in which our patterns get reinterpreted by talented crafters. We invited Rhian of The Crafty Geek to talk us through her really fun interpretation of one of those patterns. Rhian is a blogger, writer, editor and designer in the fibre industry so she certainly knows her way around colourwork and knitting!
If you would like to win any of our relaunched patterns, you still have a chance if you head over to the Ravelry group and check out how to enter. Hurry- the competition ends this afternoon!
of the best things about knitting is that you’re not constrained to
what’s popular or fashionable, or what designs are in the shops. As
knitters we’re free to make our own clothes – to choose from patterns
designed all over the globe, to carefully pick out the colours and yarns
we like the best, and, if we wish, to tweak those patterns to suit
ourselves, from adding length, ease or waist shaping to including or
adapting colourwork or textured patterns.
design, I fell in love with the drape and the shaping of the garment,
as well as the pretty colourwork around the yoke. But although I knew I
would love and wear the original design, I couldn’t resist making it
even more... me.
And so I set to work.
I wasn’t convinced I could chart a Dalek by myself, so I turned to a design I’d made before: the Exfoliate
pattern by Penwiper. This uses bobbles and purl stitches to create a
textured Dalek, but it’s clear from the chart that it would work just as
well as a colourwork design.
The easiest way to make the
switch would be to do a straight swap in terms of the size of the
motif. The original butterfly is 13 stitches across, and 13 high – but
the actual chart, including borders,is 27 stitches high, so I knew I had
this to play with without having to make any radical changes to the
design! I played around with the chart of the Dalek and was able to crop
it to 13 stitches wide by simply straightening the back. I tweaked the
rest of the design a little, removing two of the horizontal lines to
bring the design down to 22 rows high. This was too big to just replace
the butterfly, but not tall enough to replace the whole of the chart
with the borders. I decided that the solid lines at the base of the
Daleks would create a strong line across the sweater to replace
the bottom border, and I tweaked the top border slightly to run above my